Pages

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

5 min bread

This is one of the easiest breads I have ever made! I got it from a friends website but it originally comes from This book



Ingredients:

  • cups lukewarm water
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons granulated yeast (2 packets)
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons kosher salt or 1 1/2 tablespoons other coarse salt
  • 6 1/2 cups flour, unsifted, unbleached, all-purpose (not strong)
  1. Put water and yeast in mixing bowl. (I use the bowl from my mixer, and actually add everything with it attached to the mixer with the bread hook attachment.)
  2.  Add flour and salt. (yes, all at once) 
  3.  Knead on low until flour starts to come together, then a higher speed until all the flour is incorporated.
  4.  Cover (I spray a piece of foil with non-stick spray and tent it over the mixing bowl) and let it rise for 2 hours. After 2 hours, you can refridgerate the dough (will last up to 4 weeks) or, if you're like me, you can bake some right away.
To bake: 
  1. Sprinkle flour on top of dough. Cover your hands with flour (especially if you're doing this the day of making the dough, it will be STICKY!) 
  2.  Tear off a piece about the size of a cantelope. I use a cookie sheet, so I just try to make a loaf-like shape and throw it on the sheet.
  3.  Let it rise for 40 minutes. 
  4.  At 40 minutes, put a baking pan (empty) in the oven on a seperate rack (that won't interfere with your bread) and preheat to 450. 
  5.  Dust top of bread with flour, and slash with a serrated knife. You can do an 'x' or just slashes down the bread.
  6.  When preheated, at 1 cup of water to baking pan and put bread in oven. 
  7.  Let bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown.
  8.  Remove from oven, cut, slather with butter, and enjoy. 
  9.  No joke, this is the best bread ever.  This has FOUR ingredients. And one is WATER. It's foolproof. I can't wait to get this book!
    Directions (you can find more detailed ones on the site, but this is what I do)

1 comment:

  1. I've made that bread before. It is super easy! I'll enjoy following this blog too.

    ReplyDelete